Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why They Don't Know


           It is hard to determine why it took so long, but I finally realized an important principle about having a disability that is not easily detected by others. Those of us with invisible disabilities know what it is like for people to overlook, minimize, or even doubt that we struggle with a legitimate disability. After all, “You look fine” is the reason for all of the confusion.
            There are two ways we can approach our disability. We make it visible all of the time by making it a primary part of our conversations, and by acting the part. Or, we only talk about it when we have to, and we try to look as normal as possible. I am one of those in the later category.
            I don’t want my issues to be the topic of constant discussion. I want to live my life as well as I can, and try things I know I shouldn’t do. It is a part of who I am and I pay a painful price for doing those things. I get tired of constantly explaining why I must be excluded from activities, or I don’t feel good today, or I need to rest, and recharge my battery (literally, I have to recharge the machine implanted just above my hip twice a week).
            It is not a matter of pride that I hide my disability as much as I do. I just don’t want to turn my issues into other people’s burden. I don’t want to put myself in the position of having people judge me, or think they can give me advice to instantly solve my problems. Then, there are the people who think they can match my issue with their own issues (which almost never stack up). Comparing Stones to pebbles rarely leads to a positive conversation, so I stop talking about my issues and spend my time sympathizing with theirs. People would rather talk about themselves anyway.
            So, here is the important principle that I have discovered. People are not very sensitive to my disability because for the most part, I don’t want them to be. Their responses are my own doing. I should not be bothered by how they respond. It is a byproduct of trying to look and act as normal as possible.

            It does bother me at times when people are not very sensitive. I can get discouraged like every other person with an invisible disability. But, I constantly try to put the whole thing into perspective. In fact, I try to be happy when people tell me that I look fine. It means that I am, in many important ways, “fine”. Their surprise means that I am having some success at being a “normal” person. It means that I have succeeded at not making my disability the main part of my identity. People who really know me understand, and are very generous with their support. To me, that is all that matters.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fred, I definitely agree with everything you mentioned here. I too have invisible disabilities but I don't want to burden anyone, and also because other reasons you mentioned. People are insensitive, so most of the time, I just suffer in silence. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So understand what you are saying Mr. Bittner. My husband suffered at major heart attack in 1977 because he was an uncontrolled diabetic. (diabetes ran in his family). The initial heart attack left him with only a 3rd of his heart functioning. He of course was put on disability, no longer to work. With Doctor's close monitoring he got his diabetes under control and while not even eligible for a transplant he went on to live another 19 years after the heart attack. He looked the picture of health and we often heard people say "there's nothing wrong with him." How insensitive of people when they don't know what the circumstances are for the disability. If they don't see a person in a wheelchair or walking with a cane they immediately assume he is scamming the government. I knew what his restrictions were in life, what he could do and not do. He passed away on the 9th of February, 1996, It was as if he went to sleep. Like someone snapped their fingers and said "nap attack". He didn't suffer another heart attack. My goodness, there was only a 3rd of his heart functioning. His body just shut down. The heart quit pumping. No indication that it was over, it was quick just as if he did fall asleep. He always had a joking prayer, saying, "God if your going to come get me, let it be while I'm behind the wheel of my truck traveling,." I always followed up my personal prayer to God with, "if you're going to take him God while he is traveling, please, I don't ask for much but let me be with him." Not that I had a death wish. Just that I felt very strongly about God and my prayers. I wanted to be with him so when he went I could at least save other people from devastation. God heard me Fred. We were on the freeway, him driving his truck he loved so much when suddenly he slumped over the steering wheel and was gone. Don't ask me how I did it. Only God guided me that day. I was able to get him pushed back, tap the cruise off and bring the truck to the side of the road. I know God was watching over us from the day that man had his first heart attack. The day before my man passed away we had our 2 young grandchildren with us as he was driving me to work. It could have happened that day but it didn't. God waited and took him because he knew I would get it under control and manage to save others in the process. I to this day believe God is here with me. I sometimes ask what is my purpose being left behind but I look at my eldest daughter whom is now battling lung cancer, my grandchildren that are the love of my life now and know God does have a purpose for me. Not sure exactly what the purpose is but living my day as honestly and helpful to others is obviously what is in score for me. I fear not death, I know when it's my time I won't have to question whether I've done right or wrong in life, I just am. Krista Coppersmith's Mom Maxine

    ReplyDelete