Monday, August 22, 2011

Setbacks


I have been recovering from a total knee replacement for nearly two weeks. Daily improvement has been both noticeable, and satisfactory. Last night, however, I feel like I have had a setback. Leg pain increased, and sleeping was difficult because it was hard to get comfortable.

My son is a land surveyor. Through him, I have realized that a setback has a purpose. Setbacks on a piece of land help to insure that a building does not encroach neighboring property. It insures that all properties are evenly spaced, and that buildings are located in safe areas.

So, can I learn anything about my setback by understanding the meaning on a setback in real estate? While I may think my progress was satisfactory, there must have been a place where the new knee is encroaching on an older problem. The setback allows old wounds to catch up with the new knee. The setback helps to insure that all areas are healing together, and that there are no encroachments to the healing process, which may cause complications later.

So a setback can actually be a good thing in the process of recovery. I cannot be discouraged by the occasional setback. I must trust that my body has a purpose in slowing down (and maybe even taking a step backward). When all is said and done, I want know that all parts of my leg are healing correctly with no hidden problems. I want to go to the doctor and be released for the next stage of recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment