Friday, August 5, 2011

Replacement Parts


It is amazing what modern medicine can do these days. I have three pounds of Titanium in my back, so I call myself the “man of steel”. Ok, it is not steel but I like the Superman reference anyway. It makes me feel more capable than I really am. I asked the doctor if he could make me taller. After all, he was going to be in there anyway, why not? He gave me a half-inch that gravity and age had taken away.

A friend of mine has arteries that came from a pig. He still eats pork, and I keep waiting for him to oink. So far, nothing. I have another friend who is looking through someone else’s eyes. His old ones were brown, but now they are blue. Amazing! Speaking of eyes, I have been accused of having eyes in the back of my head. I really don’t. In fact the eyes in the front of my head only work because of modern laser surgery.

Replacement parts are good, if they improve the quality of life. Those of us who have disabilities understand the value of replacement parts. The issue comes when they haven’t figured out how to solve your particular disability yet. For those things they can’t fix, we must continue to suffer, hoping for the day when they can replace that too.

Next week I go in for more surgery. This time it is for a new right knee. It will give me one more battle scar to show off, or to cover up depending who I am talking with. The left knee will not be far behind. Then we get to start on hips. Oh Goodie.

We need to keep our humor intact or the disabilities will win. So far they haven’t figured out how to replace that part, so we need to keep exercising our humor, lest it fails us as well.

Please pray, send good thoughts, remember me, or whatever it is you do on August 9th. We need to support each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment