Saturday, July 30, 2011

Finding Creative Ways


You can’t quit. You have to keep going because life doesn’t just quit. I have always been active. Remodeling houses, building things, and playing with electric tools have always been a part of my life. Unfortunately I am not able to do even the things I used to find easy. I still have the skill, but I have lost the strength to make it happen. I can either quit, or I can find creative ways to keep going.
Today I worked to make a dog run at our new house. If you watched me work, you would think I had no idea how to make a dog run. It took me three times longer than it should have, and I still didn’t finish. I could be frustrated that it isn’t finished, or I could be satisfied that I am still finding creative ways to make things happen. Creativity is a gift, which I am grateful to possess. Since I have experience at doing many things, I am able to find new ways to improvise.
If you want to be inspired by the ability to improvise, watch one of Nick Vujicic’s videos. He was born without limbs. He only has one very small foot attached to his waist. Yet, he has traveled the world as an evangelist. He types 40 words per minute with his big toe. He showers, and shaves, and manages his own life. He is an inspiration for anyone with a disability. If he can find creative ways to do things, then so can I. If he can use his disability to encourage others, then so can you.
I never want to be one who says, “I can’t.” If I start saying it for hard things then I will use it for simple things, or the things I just don’t want to do. It may take me longer, but I am committed to finding creative ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment