Monday, July 25, 2011

May I Have Some Help Please?













Kim and I have moved many times in our life. It has always been a traumatic experience to leave a home we have grown accustomed to, put all of your possessions in a truck, and head to a new location. We will need new friends, new routines, new jobs, a whole host of things to turn off in one location and turn on in the other.

I bring this up, because today and tomorrow are moving days. We are moving from California to Colorado. Because we have moved so many times, my instinct is to pack and move boxes myself. Yet, that cannot happen because I am no longer able to do the job myself. So I have been learning a new phrase: “May I have some help please?” It is difficult to use this phrase for some reason, but I know that it is necessary. I fell hard on the concrete on Saturday, did way too much packing on Sunday, and I have already wore myself out this morning. So I have started using my new phrase.

Professional packers, and lots of friends are making this move possible. I am sitting in a chair, watching, and I’m sure you know how hard this is. You can surely relate to how I am feeling. Being disabled during a move is very difficult. But what I am discovering is that protecting my body is much easier than protecting my mind, heart, and attitude. Watching others do what I have done all of my life is having a profound effect on my attitude. Just writing this, admitting it to the world is very hard.

May I have some help please? As you read this post, if you have learned to deal with these issues, please write a comment and send it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment