Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Elephant In The Room

I know what you are thinking. “Are you calling me fat?” No, that is not the point at all. The elephant that I am talking about is your disability. If you are like me, you hear it all the time, “But…you don’t look disabled.”

My back was broken when I was ten years old. I have always lived with pain and covered it up fairly well. Only my wife understood how much pain I had on a daily basis. The pain progressed for more than forty years, until I came to the place where I could barely walk. Even then, most people around me didn’t even notice because I was so good at handling the pain. But there came a point when I could bear it no longer. From there I went through two major back surgeries. That amounted to six months of rehab in a three-year span. Four fusions, three disc replacements and three pounds of titanium later, my back feel’s better than any time I can remember. The nerves that control my body from the waist down are a different story. They have not healed the way we had hoped. Couple this with arthritis, and bad knees and you have an incapacitating condition. If I follow doctor’s orders, not lifting anything with much weight, get plenty of rest, and not stay in one position for very long, I can be fairly pain free.

Here is the problem (and I am sure that by reading this, you will relate) I look fine. Most of the time, I feel fine. I haven’t come to terms with my disability yet, so my mind says I am fine. The result? I try to do normal things like everybody else, and my body reminds me that I am not really fine at all. I have a disability that has placed me on the sidelines. There, I have admitted the elephant in the room.

This blog is not about my complaints, or pains, or doctor’s appointments. It is not a place for a pity party. It is a journey of discovery. I need to reinvent myself, and find a new level of significance. If you are in this place too, I invite you to follow along, join in. Share your ideas. Let’s get beyond the elephant, and find a new direction together. Our disability is not who we are, but if our disability has stopped us from doing what we used to do, then we need to chart a new path. I cannot believe that I am the only person in this position and I refuse to sit on the sidelines alone. That only leads to depression and defeat. So, we need each other. The journey is ahead, and I can’t wait to experience it.

Are you with me?

3 comments:

  1. Fred, my friend, this is a wonderful idea! I am not sure how to use a "blog site" but I am going to learn! Life's about learning, after all!
    One of the hardest things I have to continually work with is the fact that most folks think my disability is in my mind. I have been dealing with fibromyalgia for longer than I think I even know. When I was 19 I injured my back severely and then later my knees as well. Doctor's have been patching me up for this and that as long as I can remember. The pain factor and the constant fatigue just continued to plague me. Lots of shots, operations, and medicines later, they decided the overall picture had an "official" name...fibromyalgia....coupled now with fairly severe arthritis. Oh yes, I must add the chronic depression that accompanies the whole experience as well. The invisibility of it all to others is often encouraged by the fact that I have a joyful outlook on life in spite of the "opposition". My faith in God's Love is my strength. Many just don't get it. As I age, my physical ability weakens, but my faith soars. I thank God for never ever giving up on His kids and that I am blessed to be one.
    I'm excited about this blog and have posted the link to my FB wall in hopes others will be blessed with it as well. Also, I will reconnect with a fibromyalgia group I used to chat with and let them know about it too.
    Thank you for once again letting God use you in such a wonderful way.
    May God always bless you (I know He does and always will!), Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fred,
    I like this blog, keep it coming! I am going to share this with my friend Elena who is disabled due to four brain surgeries. She also has a blog, check it out, http://www.mynewnormal.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really relate to each posters comments.
    God bless you and all of us. I am tired and it is too hard to walk this path alone.

    ReplyDelete