Friday, September 23, 2011

Hidden Giants


Today, I sat in the pharmacy department of my local drug store. People were coming and going as the staff were giving shots to prevent shingles. As I sat, an employee asked if I was planning to get the shot as well. Unfortunately, the shot would do me no good. The truth is that I was at the pharmacy for a course of heavy antibiotics because my shingles has returned.

My first bought with shingles came several years ago. A few painful spots on my lower back lasted about three months. When they healed, I thought I was finished with Shingles. Not true. The shingles settled in my lower spine. They returned with a vengeance following my second back surgery. This time with only one prominent spot. All of the rest went down through the nerves in my legs. The pain was debilitating, and very difficult to fight off. It took several months of antibiotics to fight off the Shingles.

Six weeks ago I had knee replacement surgery. This, along with some adjustments in medicines, brought the ugly monster back to life. So, there i was sitting in the pharmacy, waiting for my antibiotics while happy healthy people came for their shot to insure that they won't get what I have been suffering with for years. If I had the choice, I would take the shot too. But, I don't have the choice. Debilitating nerve pain is just one more giant I must fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment